What can you learn from feeding an entire book on Python programming into ChatGPT-4 and asking it to provide a technical review? What are the potential pitfalls of using an LLM as a learning tool? This week on the show, author Al Sweigart talks about his recent experiments using ChatGPT and Python.
Al wanted to test how well an LLM could understand the computer science concepts covered in his recent book, The Recursive Book of Recursion. We talk about the positive and negative results of this technical review. We consider if this would be a valuable tool for technical review of your projects.
Al shares his thoughts on using ChatGPT as a learning tool and its potential pitfalls. We also cover the current strengths of this type of tool for Python developers.
Course Spotlight: Python Basics Exercises: Conditional Logic and Control Flow
In this Python Basics Exercises course, you’ll review how to use conditional logic to write programs that perform different actions based on different conditions. Paired with functions and loops, conditional logic allows you to write complex programs that can handle many different situations.
- 00:00:00 – Introduction
- 00:01:51 – Reasons for experimenting
- 00:04:24 – Using ChatGPT to review his recursion book
- 00:10:45 – Why do this review?
- 00:11:34 – The trouble of confabulation
- 00:18:45 – Meaning of artificial intelligence over time
- 00:28:21 – Video Course Spotlight
- 00:29:54 – Detailed prompts and asking for specifics
- 00:36:44 – Potential pitfalls for learning
- 00:49:48 – Checking for flaws in generated code
- 00:54:58 – How can it be useful?
- 01:01:33 – Touching briefly on ethics
- 01:02:35 – What are you excited about in the world of Python?
- 01:05:21 – What do you want to learn next?
- 01:07:36 – Python Programming Exercises, Gently Explained
- 01:09:20 – How can people follow your work online?
- 01:09:49 – Thanks and goodbye
- Al Sweigart’s Website
- Using ChatGPT-4 to Review My Recursion Programming Book – The Invent with Python Blog
- Prompt Engineering: A Practical Example – Real Python
- ChatGPT: Your Personal Python Coding Mentor – Real Python
- GitHub Copilot: Fly With Python at the Speed of Thought – Real Python
- ChatGPT: US lawyer admits using AI for case research – BBC News
- If a hammer was like AI…
- The Elements of AI Ethics
- Al Sweigart: An Overview of the Python Code Tool Landscape 2023 – YouTube
- Python Programming Exercises, Gently Explained
- Invent with Python
- Ruff, an extremely fast Python linter – Astral
- Rust Programming Language
- Command Line Applications in Rust
Level up your Python skills with our expert-led courses:
- Python Basics: Conditional Logic and Control Flow
- Python Basics: Strings and String Methods
- Python Basics Exercises: Conditional Logic and Control Flow
Powered by WPeMatico
Go to Source
Author: Real Python